TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls, Part One)

Revealing Eden - Victoria Foyt I couldn't make it past the sample chapter for this poorly conceived, horribly executed, supposed commentary on racism. Unfortunately, the author has no grasp of how institutionalize prejudice actually works, much less what it is like to live as a minority in even a free/democratic society. In fact, this book is so off the mark it reads like a parody and at times I seriously wondered if this book was meant to be a joke. Not a very good joke, mind you, but still... *points at cover* One does wonder.One of the worst parts for me is that Eden, who is sold as the heroine of the story, is in fact the perfectly programed product of the racist society she lives in. While she is part of an exploited minority she does not rise above or see beyond skin color. In fact, within the first few paragraphs of the story she demonstrates classic examples of racist behavior, that within her warped world view (supported by the rather bizarre and no where near scientifically sound, futural world she lives in). Using racial slurs easily, vilifying anyone who is dark skinned and even wistfully dreaming of days gone by when the "whites" rulled the world and unabashedly showed their skin without fear of persecution. *heavy sigh*Eden isn't a model of overcoming racism and prejudice. She and this book are a horror story for white kids. Here's what will happen kids, if god forbid minorities were to come into power.The mere assumption that in a world where the power structure shifts out of that hands of Caucasians would automatically result in them becoming an oppressed minority is in itself a horribly ignorant and offensive statement.This reads like a white Supremacist's manifesto. True, it's not as bad as the Turner Diaries, but it communicates a very similar message. A very dangerous message when you really think about it. Honestly, I don't how this story could NOT be taken as offensive, off-base and blatantly irresponsible. Now, I am not saying that the author intended this to be a racist or offensive novel, but it is very apparent (from the complete mishandling of the subject matter) that very little research was done during the conception and writing of this book. Which is sad, because I think the idea could be interesting if handled with care, respect and skill. However, in the case of Revealing Eden does nothing but reenforce prejudice and ignorance.