TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

Gabriel's Inferno - Sylvain Reynard Let's set aside the unethical practices that lead to this book (aka Twilight Fan Fiction) being published and just focus on the story. This is a giant turd-nugget of misogyny wrapped in romance stereotypes and sprinkled with the most basic understanding of classic literature. No literally, if you read Dante's Inferno for Dummies you will walk away with a better comprehension of that classic work than the author of this humongous joke of a novel.The sad part is the author is skilled at manipulating readers into believing that a story about a young college coed being mentally, emotionally and intellectually manipulated by her professors is sexually arousing, and laughably romantic. No seriously, the overwhelming amount of agency that is given up by our leading female is so devastating that every time I see a female reader give this book anything more than two stars I feel the woman's movement take a full step backwards. It would be refreshing to read a book with literary themes that didn't show a female heroine who has to use her vagina to win love and respect from her male counterpart, but alas Gabriel's Inferno is not it. Not by a long shot. Additional note: I have a theory that part of why many readers (who have no experience or knowledge of classic literature) love this book has a lot to do with effort justification. See my comments below.