TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

Why did this author do a 180 in her stance against whitewashing?

Divergent - Veronica Roth

The increased emphasis on diversity has led some authors with close fandom ties to make a commitment to writing main characters who are Asian, black, and brown. But not all fandoms and authors share the same level of commitment. Young adult author Veronica Roth’s bestselling dystopia Divergent has a main character of color—but it’s not exactly directly stated in the series. Discerning readers noted that Roth’s main character Tobias, aka “Four,” was never explicitly mentioned as being white. After affirming in a Tumblr post last year that the character was actually biracial, Roth noted that she pictured him having light skin but later vowed to “use her words” to make sure that her wishes for a diverse cast were known in the event of a movie.

“I really hate whitewashing,” Roth wrote. “I really do. It’s VERY important to me that it not happen.”

But when the announcement of Four’s casting came in March, Roth’s priorities had shifted:

"Recently I saw Theo James' screen test with Shailene Woodley, and I was sure within seconds: this was ‘Four,’ no question. Theo is able to capture ‘Four’s’ authority and strength, as well as his depth and sensitivity. He is a perfect match for Shailene’s incredibly strong presence as Tris. I’m thrilled!"

The problem? Theo James is white. But as the buzz around the movie and its casting has grown, criticisms from the Divergent fandom about James’s casting have quickly fizzled out with nothing more than a few plaintive mentions here and there...

(via the Daily dot)

[You can bet your sweet ass I'm writing a blog post about this bullshit.]