TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

Reading progress update: I've read 28%

Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World - Lev Grossman, Tiffany Reisz, Rachel Caine, Jen Zern, Heidi Tandy, Rukmini Pande, Samira Nadkarni, Wendy C. Fries, Jolie Fontenot, Randi Flanagan, Tish Beaty, Cyndy Aleo, Christina Lauren, V. Arrow, Brad Bell, Andrew Shaffer, Darren Wershler, Anne Jamison, Jules Wilkinson, R

"One reason slash is appealing as a genre is that an equal relationship between a man and a woman is not possible in the patriarchal society in which we live, and slash between men enables writers to examine relationships between characters who are equals."

While this might be true initially, it's important to note that a lot of slash slots men into heteronormative roles.

"Academics Lamb and Veith argue that women are not equals in a patriarchal society, even if they may be equals in a lesbian relationship."

I know some lesbians who would argue even then they aren't equals, but that's not why I'm quoting this line.

I'm specifically quoting this section to point out the context of this quote is in reference to the  X-Files femslash pairing Scully/Fowley, who are two white, educated, professional women of means.