TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

Reading progress update: The fundamental Flaw of This Book!

Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World - Lev Grossman, Tiffany Reisz, Rachel Caine, Jen Zern, Heidi Tandy, Rukmini Pande, Samira Nadkarni, Wendy C. Fries, Jolie Fontenot, Randi Flanagan, Tish Beaty, Cyndy Aleo, Christina Lauren, V. Arrow, Brad Bell, Andrew Shaffer, Darren Wershler, Anne Jamison, Jules Wilkinson, R

I'm flabbergasted that this essay (Hell, the book) never talks about how the Buffy fandom (and many early online fandoms) laid a foundation that would be expanded upon by countless modern fandoms today. Not just culturally, but also their use of internet technology.

This is another HUGE miss, but it is also points to fundamental flaw in the primary thesis of this book.

I'll explain why in detail in my review, but suffice to say that the author's lack of knowledge and understanding of the history of fandom, and its use of technology severally weakens this book's credibility as a reliable resource.