TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

"Fanfic writing isn’t work, it’s joyful play,” she [Naomi Novik] says. “The problem is that for most people, any kind of writing looks like work to them, so they get confused why anyone would want to write fanfic instead of original professional material, even though they don’t have any problem understanding why someone would want to mess around on a guitar playing Simon and Garfunkel."

How Harry Potter Became the Boy Who Lived Forever by  Lev Grossman

I plan to write a post about how this perception (that writing = work, so writing fan fiction should lead to professional writing) really feeds the P2P (publishing fan fiction) phenomena. Combine that with the social pressure women feel to justify any time they spend away from their families and jobs, i.e. the only socially acceptable ways for women to spend their time and the fact that they're spending their "precious" free time on writing and reading about sex...[cue the gasps and clutching of pearls]

We see that there's a sexist double standard at work here, that few people even see, much less want to talk about.

In fact, people like Professor Anne Jamison (author of Fic: How fan fiction is taking over the world) would have us believe that women who are publishing their fan fic for profit are at the forefront of feminism. Which is not only untrue but laughably so, considering how the P2P commodifies pre-established female relationships and transforms female dominating communities from heavens of creativity and mutual appreciation, to commercial spaces to promote books.

It's a subtle and insidious form of internalized sexism, that tells women that even their friendships with other women should be source of income.

Source: http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2081784,00.html