TheFangirl

The Fangirl

Long time geek, fangirl, mother, and reader. I've got a lot to say, you might not like it all, but it will be honest and hopefully helpful.

Should be required reading for all parents and children.

The Autism Playbook for Teens: Imagination-Based Mindfulness Activities to Calm Yourself, Build Independence, and Connect with Others - Irene McHenry, Carol Moog, Susan Kaiser Greenland

Disclaimer: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Where was this book when I was a kid? I really could have used many of these exercises, and I know that they’re are going to come in handy with helping my boys when they get older. I cannot recommend this guide enough to teens and their parents, whether they’re on the Autism spectrum or not.

This guide really stands out to me because how it is structure not to teach kids the “right behavior,” but rather to give them tools to help them process their feelings, sensory sensitivities and tips on how to self-advocate for their needs. These are tools not only of empowerment, but of longterm growth and understanding, not just of themselves, but others.

The layout of the book and the structure of each exercise are very user friendly. While it’s targeted at teens, I think that with the guidance of parents kids of all ages could benefit from them. As an adult I found myself relating to the scenarios and am now using some of these techniques to self evaluate and communicate my own needs.

This is must have book for parents and kids on the Autism spectrum. I would also recommend it to educators and therapists who work with children. Effective education should be about empowerment and this book accomplishes that and then some.

Despite receiving an free ecopy ARC in exchange for an honest review, but I’ll be purchasing a hardcopy for myself and friends.